Tennessee Volunteers (4-0) vs. No. 25 Georgia Bulldogs (3-1)
Saturday, October 1, 2016 – 3:30 PM ET
Sanford Stadium, Athens, Georgia
LINE: TENN -4 ; Total: 52
This is a betting preview for Tennessee Volunteers vs. Georgia Bulldogs Bulldogs, two of the main contenders for the SEC East Division crown.
The No. 11 Tennessee is still undefeated on the season, and it has covered the spread in each of its two games when favored by fewer than 20 points. The Volunteers came back from a 21-3 hole at half time to beat No. 19 Florida 38-28 as a 4-point favorite at home last week, not an uncommon scenario as they’ve been outscored 34-10 in the first quarter this season. Joshua Dobbs torched the Gators’ defense for a career-best 319 yards passing and four touchdowns and was rewarded with the SEC offensive player of the week for his performance.
It’s worth noting that the Volunteers average a rather mediocre 387.8 yards of offense per game, but a respectable 32.8 ppg. How long can they keep that efficiency up?
The No. 25 Georgia had opened the season with three consecutive wins but fell hard in a 45-14 setback as a 7-point underdog at Ole Miss last week. The Bulldogs have failed to cover the spread in each of their last three games and they’re just 2-6 ATS in their last eight home games. We can however note that they’re 5-2 ATS in their last seven games following a straight up loss.
Georgia is tied for 95th in the FBS for scoring offense at 25.3 points per game and tied for 84th in scoring defense as they allow 30 points a night, but its defense was unable to slow down the Rebels, allowing 510 yards last week. Even worse is that star running back Nick Chubb suffered a sprain to his left ankle and is unlikely to play.
Tennessee won last season’s meeting 38-31 as a 2.5-point underdog at home.
- Volunteers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games vs. a team with a winning home record.
- Volunteers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 road games.
- Volunteers are 6-1 ATS in their last 7 conference games.
- Bulldogs are 6-16-1 ATS in their last 23 home games vs. a team with a winning road record.
- Bulldogs are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 home games.
- Bulldogs are 2-6 ATS in their last 8 conference games.
- Under is 8-0 in Bulldogs last 8 home games.
- Under is 16-5 in Bulldogs last 21 games overall.
- Over is 5-2 in Bulldogs last 7 games after allowing more than 40 points in their previous game.
- Over is 4-0 in the last 4 meetings.
- Volunteers are 4-0 ATS in their last 4 meetings.
- Volunteers are 5-1 ATS in their last 6 meetings in Georgia.
My Lean: Tennessee Volunteers -4
“We are building something special here,” Volunteers coach Butch Jones told reporters this week as Tennessee looks to extend its winning streak to 11 straight games dating back to last season. One can only agree, and I like the Volunteers to win and cover the spread in this contest.